Inland Wetlands and Watercourses

Wetlands Links800 Bloomfield Avenue                                      860-769-3524
Bloomfield, CT  06002                                        Hours: M-F 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
(Engineering Office)

The Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Commission (IWWC) is responsible for the preservation and protection of the wetlands and watercourses in the Town of Bloomfield in accordance with the Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Act of the CT State Statutes.  Prior to beginning any construction, grading, or any other development activity proposed in or within 100 feet of a wetland, or that  affects or is within 200 feet of a watercourse, the IWWC (through the Wetlands Agent) must be contacted for a determination as to if a permit is required. 

The Commission's duties include promulgating and enforcing the provisions of the Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Regulations of the Town, and issuing or denying permits for all regulated activities associated with inland wetlands and watercourses in accordance with those regulations.  Administrative and technical support to the IWWC is provided by the Wetlands Agent.

Click Here for a list of the Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Commission members and meeting information, including meeting agendas and minutes.

Peter Castaldi, Wetlands Agent

Phone:  860-769-3526; Email:

The Wetlands Agent is designated by the IWWC, and provides administrative and technical support to the Commission including receiving permit applications, maintaining permit files, preparing and issuing required notices, performing reviews of plans and other application information and preparing  staff reports for the Commission, providing technical assistance to the Commission, and acting as the Commission's liaison with the public.  The Wetlands Agent also inspects on-going construction and other regulated activities for compliance with permit requirements and commences and administers enforcement actions on behalf of the Commission.  In addition, the Wetlands Agent is authorized by the IWWC to issue administrative permits for activities within the upland review area [and outside of the wetlands] that are not likely to cause a significant impact to the wetlands or watercourses.

The Wetlands Agent is located in the Engineering Office on the first floor of the Town Hall, which is the same office as for the Planning & Zoning and the Building Departments.  Click Here for the Town Hall location and public business hours.

Wetlands Links: 

Regulations & Permit Application